Read and view the status of Senate Bill 35 here: https://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=1025398
Take Action: Tell your Louisiana state legislators that the passage of a medical marijuana bill in 2016 should have ensured that no one will be criminalized for participating legally in the program. Under the new system, it is legal to buy and be recommended (not “prescribed”) medical marijuana for certain illnesses and while the patient or caregiver has explicit guarantees of legal protection, none of the other lawful participants do. This could potentially severely undermine the system and further harm the people this system was intended to protect. SB35 seeks to amend the current therapeutic cannabis law to provide clear protections for anyone lawfully participating in the program. Follow these steps tp contact your representatives today!
1. Look up your STATE representative and senator (not federal) here: http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Staff/ASPNETFORM/H_Reps_ByAddress.aspx
2. When you call, you will speak with an assistant. It is important to be polite so that they will convey your message favorably to the legislator. Otherwise, send an email, but be professional there too.
3. Introduce yourself by name, state that you are a constituent, and provide your address (or at least town or zip code).
4. Tell them that no one should be criminalized for legally participating in the state-approved medical marijuana program.
5. If you’re so inclined, briefly explain why you care. Do you have a family member who is eligible for the program? Have you seen the devastating effects lack of access to treatment can have on a variety of illnesses? Tell them!
6. Ask if you can schedule a meeting with your legislator or simply ask for his/her support on SB 35.
SB 35 Passed the Senate today and is now headed for the House, but we only have one week left until the end of session and so need your help TODAY!